Friday, June 3, 2011

Bombay to Goa...

Hi

I actually wanted to write a sequel to Pingology.But thought of pre-empting it with something that is much more relevant and much less a balderdash.This is something I have been planning to write since I arrived in Goa for a sabbatical after resigning from my job in Mumbai.

This post is somewhat about what Mumbai meant to me in my 3 years of stay.

Let me begin.

I wont sugarcoat my opinions.To be frank I did not really fall for Mumbai.I couldn't really come to peace with this city even after 3 years of my stay.For someone who has stayed all his life in Goa, it's hard to accept the city life.More so when that city is Mumbai.The more you observe the more you tend to see how diametrically opposite Goa and Mumbai are on every level.

While living in Mumbai many times I used to have this mental image about it depicting a room whose walls are obliquely swelling outwards having reached the threshold of its capacity to hold matter inside.("where 2/3rd of the population lives on 1/3rd of the land"..from some book).Its almost like having a free empty space (be it for a ground or garden or whatever) is a crime.There is an inherent tendency to stuff/fill an empty space,based on its size, with a mall,a building,a shop,a vehicle or a person.Of course a native Mumbaikar who has seen all this while growing up will find this a routine and a matter unworthy of any fuss.

A Goan wont.

Let me describe the yardstick against which I compared Mumbai.
I was born and brought up in Goa which is known for its sushegad (come on..you must know the meaning of that term by now) lifestyle,laid back culture,no worries,no tensions,the pace adjusted to a very comfortable speed as per everyone's needs,the relative indifference to the terms like hectic busy rush etc etc,the smooth shiny roads between lots of greenery and trees just optimally filled with traffic in the office times and occupied more by the occasional stray dogs or cattle than vehicles in the quieter quarters of the day,the serenity that is omnipresent though the people,through the clean pollution-free air that surrounds,the blurred boundaries separating a neat village from a city,the ever so beautiful capital city,the pleasant climate,the rainy season that turns everything that is green into greener and did I almost wrote a paragraph about Goa without the word beaches....(no pun intended) and best of all,the genial people...

To be frank,and ask any Goan for that matter,a shift from Goa to Mumbai is not much different from speeding up a car from 0-100 Kmph.
The drastic movement does affect you at first.It did to me as well.

Ill be upfront about things I did not like about Mumbai("hated" would be too strong a term).
The insane travel times owing to the zombie traffic,which can be desettled with as little as one light rain shower,the robust and efficient local train network which is always defeated by the ever bulging population,the noise pollution,air pollution,lack of greenery and trees,senseless number of malls everywhere,a continuously growing thick jungle of concrete etc etc pushed me to the wits end when I was on the receiving side of it and made me run as far as possible from it.
But over the time I acclimatized myself to all this(although not completely).I learned to live with them.

Now let me face up the other side of the coin.Let me tell you what Mumbai meant to me.

This city brought me in the broad day light of reality from the Comfortable cocoon I had been into whole my life.
A bird cannot fly living its whole life in the nest.It has to jump into open air.Mumbai was that uncharted open air.I don't know whether I've learnt flying but I at least realised that I have wings.
New people,new environments new rules etc. brought about a lot of change in me.The decision making ability,the maturity,a broad mindedness,the perspective everything was positively affected by a significant extent.

The rat race is closely associated with the lifestyle over here.But I find that term pejorative.It's more of a race.Whether you run it as a rat or a cat chasing the rat or just like that roadrunner who doesn't care where he reaches,its your choice.
Its meaning is open for any number of interepretations.
I look at it this way.It gives you a sense of competition.A desire to prove yourself.A desire to rise above and break the stereotypes,a desire to make your mark,to be heard,to be known...
And frankly whatever little success I had in achieving all this would not have been possible had I been in Goa.

There is an insatiable zest for life here.The city literally lives through its people.
It was for the first time that I was in a same city of terror strikes(26/11).And I will never forget that.
The life was back to normal within hrs.The terror was failed miserably and shamefully in the hands and minds of the Mumbaian.
He showed that it would take something more than cowardly terrorist attacks to break its soul.The unshakeable spirit of the people really dazzled me.It really was awe inspiring phenomenon for me.There is simply no place for past-tense in a Mumbaikar's life.
Legend has it that the Phoenix bird routinely burns itself to ashes and reborn and rises again.
The proverbial phoenix of Mumbai doesnt have that much time.It just keeps rising.Taking all the blows and burns, healing itself on its way up without halt for a respite. :)

Summing it up,I am glad that Mumbai "happened" to me for many reasons.Wanted to write even more.But some other time may be.
May be I was a tad critical.May be my view towards Mumbai appear as a narrow minded one to my mumbai friends.But then we all tend to have a soft spot for our home land. :)
Having said that every place has its unique signature which sets it apart from others.Its not about how beautiful the signature looks but how unique it makes the signee that is important.And i totally respect that.
So please do not misconstrue my comparative opinions as condescension.

Love you Mumbai..but just as a good friend :)

9 comments:

  1. Haha.. "Love you Mumbai..but just as a good friend :)"

    Well yes, absolutely true, every place has its own charm. And believe it or not, every place leaves a mark which always tweaks you when you leave the place, at least, happens to me.

    I wish you all the best for another beautiful place, Kolkata, I hope you love, enjoy and savor the flavor which the city of joy has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Tadu!! well written.. I spcly liked the part about "sushegad" n "the undying spirit"!!!
    all said and done.. but Mumbai has a lions share in making u the person u are now!!
    n Mumbai does make u shameless, n one has to carve a niche for himself digesting difficulties, critism, competition, jealousy etc!! I really am proud to be a Mumbaikar :)
    n I m soo happy u wer one.. for 3 years!!
    NABHA SHIRODKAR LIKES TANMAY THAKURS BLOG!!
    ps: they really should have the like button on blogs yar.. seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and u soo aptly described Goans :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. @all....thanks a lot for comments.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. whn i started readin ths i was thinkin abt 100 ways to kil u for makin mumbai luk soo bad...bt towards d end i realized tht u luv it as much as i do...:) ...nicely riten re...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Prinu....Oh comeon.Dont forget that was Mumbai from the eyes of a Goan.Ive already explained the reasons for the "culture shock".

    Anyways,thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete